With an array of procedures designed to get rid of excess, inelastic skin, followed by a lifting and tightening of the remaining skin, Dr. Venkata Erella can recontour your body and provide you with a vibrant, firm, and beautifully shaped physique. Body lift procedures can be very helpful for patients who cannot get rid of excess, inelastic skin folds and areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. A body lift can also be an excellent way for patients who have had bariatric surgery to take the next step on their weight loss journey and recontour their bodies for a firmer and more fit appearance.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon is exceptionally skilled with post-bariatric surgery body contouring procedures, and works with some of the most respected bariatric surgeons in the area to help patients achieve customized care and results that will help them look their best. These advanced treatments can provide you with a significantly renewed appearance and more self-confidence in the way you look.
Please call (512) 686-0012 for a complimentary consultation with Dr. Erella. He would be happy to discuss the body lift and other post-weight loss surgery options that might be right for you.
What Is a Body Lift?
Excess skin is particularly common after significant weight loss following bariatric surgery. This can not only be frustrating, it can leave patients feeling extremely self-conscious about their appearance, and feeling helpless once they realize that their exercise routines and eating habits may not be solving the problem.Body lift procedures are designed to remove the appearance of inelastic skin that is often left over once large amounts of weight have been lost. These excess skin folds tend to droop and sag on the body, and can affect even those patients who are in relatively good shape.
What Is Involved in a Body Lift?
Body lift procedures can be performed as individual treatments, such as a tummy tuck, a circumferential tummy tuck, arm or thigh lift, or a breast lift, or they can be performed in combination to provide patients with a comprehensive body makeover. These procedures can be very beneficial to patients who have lost skin elasticity as they age, as well as those who are trying to get their bodies in shape after successfully losing weight, but are experiencing pockets of excess fat and loose skin in a number of areas.
Am I a Candidate?
Candidates for body lift procedures include patients who are in reasonably good physical and emotional health and those who:
- Have lost significant amounts of weight and are experiencing excess skin and loose folds in specific or multiple body areas, including the arms, thighs, back, breasts, midsection, and others.
- Are looking to recontour their bodies for a firmer, more fit aesthetic.
- Have tried dieting and exercise to reduce areas of inelastic skin but have not achieved success.
Body Lift Procedures
Traditional body lift procedures involve comprehensive recontouring of either the lower or upper parts of the body, which include a number of areas addressed during one procedure, such as:
Lower Body Lift
A lower body lift removes extra skin and tightens the remainder in a number of areas of the lower body, including the:
- Flanks (love handles)
The most common procedure is the circumferential tummy tuck, which addresses the pannus, love handles, hips, and lateral thighs. The abdominal muscles are also tightened during this procedure in order to facilitate a flatter, more fit-looking abdomen. It can be done at one time or in stages.
Upper Body Lift
An upper body lift is designed to smooth and tighten the skin in the upper part of the body, including areas such as the back, breasts, and arms. Dr. Erella will reduce the drooping, inelastic skin and redrape the remainder, pulling it taut and providing an overall sculpted and re-contoured appearance.
The most common procedure is the breast lift and arm lift. This can be done at one time or in stages.
Excess skin that hangs below the lower abdomen, called the pannus, can become severe enough to cause rashes, skin ulcers, back pain, hygiene problems, and even difficulty walking and standing. Dr. Erella can perform a panniculectomy to address this debilitating condition and reduce the excess skin. The remaining skin will be pulled taut for a smoother appearance.
Body Lift Recovery
- Recovery from body lift is highly contingent on which procedure you decide to undergo.
- Full lower or upper body lift procedures are major surgeries involving a number of different treatments at once, so you should allow yourself plenty of time after surgery to fully recuperate. Once Dr. Erella meets with you for your initial consultation, he will discuss all aspects of each procedure and, together, you and Dr. Erella will decide the procedures that will best meet your needs. Once Dr. Erella has created a treatment plan, he will be able to give you a better idea of what the recovery process will be like.
- Recovery period is usually 4 weeks for combined procedures.
- A compression garment will need to be worn for the first few weeks to help with healing.
- Dr. Erella is highly skilled with these procedures and will make every effort to make scarring as light and easily hidden as possible.
- Appropriate garments and pain medications can control pain during the recovery process.
Body Lift Results
Each patient’s results will vary, but depending on the specific treatments that are part of your body lift procedure, you could see immediate results. However, it will take some time for the swelling from surgery to completely subside, so it may be several weeks before you see the long-term effects.